Apr 7, 2011

Your oh so intriguing Q's and A's answered...

1. How do you find such great thrift store stuff? There are a few tips you can follow that I've talked about here, but, yes there's a big fat but, thrifting isn't some magical event where you can blow pixie dust and some little gnome named Jared will hand you all of the magical things in the store. It's all about taking the time to search through all of the clothes, yes that means old woman saggy pants, shirts with the infamous native american and wolf staring off into the distance and orthropedic shoes. It's all about persistence.

2. I'm a bit discouraged that my blog isn't growing, not many people seem to be interested in it. Do you have any advice for me? Heckkkk yes. My blog was not one of those rare sites where it explodes over night and all of the sudden it was a success (I'm still waiting for my mystical blog explosion). I have totally been where you are, for the first three months of my blog the only follower was my husband (talk about a pitiful blog), the secret is doing it because you love it and not doing it because you want people to read it. Comment on other's blogs, get involved in the blogging community, and really just enjoy what you're writing about and it'll all work out.

3. People "stop following" my blog all of the time? Is this normal and is there anything I can do to prevent it? Join da club sista! If we're being real here, I used to lose followers (and still do lose them) and get really butt hurt about it. But the truth of the matter is that we all want to be liked by everyone and sometimes we associate someone not wanting to read your blog with being rejected. It's important to separate you and your blog. Not everyone will want to read about what you're talking about and THAT'S OKAY! Just keep doing your thing and don't let them get you down. There are a few things that can help you from losing followers over small things though 1. Format. People want to go to a clean site where they aren't bombarded by fuscia pink and giant flashing smiley faces. Keep your format clean and easy to read.
2. Playlists. I'm all about music and love hearing what everyone is listening to but make sure it doesn't automatically start when someone goes to the page, give them the option to click on it so that they don't feel like this giant blasty blast of loudness will hit them if they click on the page.

4. How did you come up with the nickname Sir Matt? Ha ha actually this is random, but when me and Matt started talking he gave me his number but I already had a Matt in my phone so I just put his name as Sir Matt so I could differentiate between the two (so not romantic at all). I've been calling him that ever since and every time he calls he still comes up as Sir Matt on my phone!

5. Has your sense of style always been unique? Nooooo!!! N to the dang O. I really was a t-shirt and jeans girl forever and one day I just decided I didn't want to dress like that anymore. I just started exploring with styles I liked and eventually it morphed into Sarah sometimes  dresses old lady and sometimes looks good...yeah that's right I named my style...it's pretty catchy.

6. I'm having trouble with finding the right type of garments so that they don't show when I wear skirts and so that I don't have pant lines when I wear jeggings, can you help? OMG, you said the g-word online. I think this is so important to answer though, because we all need to stay modest but don't want those lines showing on our clothes. I have a few tricks I use. 1. For skirts I use cotton, it has nothing to do with the fabric but only that there's a piece of elastic on the leg so that your g's will stay where you need them and not slide around on your leg. 2. For jeggings or tighter jeans there are a couple of options, there are capri pants that you can use which are an awesome option during the winter, they'll keep you warmer and you won't have any lines because their longer. I would definitely recommend them any time of the year but summer. Since they can get hot for the summer I use the polyester spandex blend every other time of the year. They really hug to your body and make the lines a TON less noticeable.

7. Tell us something we don't know about you yet? ooh lets get DEEP. I used to talk to my stuffed animals...like seriously there was a problem because I thought they were talking back. I'm pretty sure someone could name a disorder after it. My dad even used to get me to do stuff through telling me what my stuffed animals were saying. The big secret...I was 20 when this was going on!! Nah just kidding I was like five.
Have any more questions? Just ask me at woohoo4sarah@yahoo.com!

18 comments :

  1. Good answers! I agree with you about followers dropping you! It stings but then you just have to focus on all the other people who DO follow you and want to know what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see that you've mentioned the playlist thing. That drives me CRAZY!! Often, I read blogs while my toddler is napping and when she's woken up by music blasting from the computer, I get pretty irritated! Another way to not lose followers is to update your blog frequently. I have sadly hit the "stop following" button several times due to months of inactivity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you posted these questions and answers. My blog is a newborn, so I always have lots of questions. Thanks!

    amy day to day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you siad in the second question, or answer, you know what i mean. I don't really care if my blog isn't growing like others'. I started blogging to help my writing skills. Dorky right? I'm extatic that i even have followers. I also enjoy the "blogging community." It's how I found you. Sorta. Bottom line, I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your answers! you are too sweet for answering these :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha. Loved this. You are so funny and so genuinely nice! I loved the story on how Sir Matt got his Sir and loved the advice on blogging. Very helpful hints (totally going to use the cotton and spandex ...I had a major showing problem that I tried to just pull off that it was supposed to be there...honestly lines are never supposed to be there! )Thank you!

    -Erin (http://keepcalmandstyleon.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am frustrated because I have follower but no one is READING. It does no good to follow if you aren't going to READ.
    Off my soapbox now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would have never thought a long "g" would have made the world of a difference...i think i might invest in some when i get back to the motherland (canada) for those treacherous winters that occur 9 months out of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm pretty sure we should be bff. you down?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was very helpful! Thanks for sharing!

    nikki

    nbadorestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Your Sir Matt story is too cute!

    nikki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great, and solid advice. For a long time I only had two followers. I know my blog is never going to blow up, and I love my little nook of the interwebz.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great ! Very useful and informative.

    Thanks for your sweet comment ! I definitely enjoyed my trip back home ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I'm your newest follower !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the advice, Sarah!

    You're beautiful, ps. Seriously. Can I borrow your perfect coloring and cheekbones? Ok. Thanks.

    http://asktheduplex.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never would have pegged you for a fellow t-shirts and jeans girl! Your epiphany sounds a lot like mine; now if only i could get my style to be like yours.

    Also, I like the silkies for skirts; I don't worry about them showing.

    North Meets South

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I've shared your website in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete